Skip to main content

Cleaning Up My TCL 5102L Cellphone

 Phone reset to factory default

(1) Connected to my wi-fi

(2) Copy apps & data - "Don't copy"

(3) Google Sign in "New e-mail for this select phone"

(4) Add phone number "Scroll to "More Options" and select No, don't add my phone number"

(5) Google Services - I kept - "Use basic device backup" "Use Location" "Allow scanning" "Send usage and diagnostic data" "Install Updates & apps" I accepted all the checked options.

(6) Set a screen lock "Skip"

(7) Unlock with face "Skip"

(8) Access you assistant with "Hey Google" - "allow" 

(9) Quickly set up "Google Voice" 

(10) Access your Assistant without unlocking your phone "Skip"

(11) Just press for your assistant - Continue

(12) (G) Pay - Pay faster with Google Pay - "Skip" - This popup p twice so I skipped it twice

(13) Anything else? - Add another email account, Change font size, Change wallpaper - "No thanks"


TCL Terms and Conditions - "ACCEPT AND CONTINUE"


(1) Enter privacy app with 2 finger swiping up and holding for 1s on main screen after fresh reset as well as on apps drawer.


Now since I'm done with the basic "Google" part of the setup time to tinker.


I will be cleaning up the main wallpaper area.

Here is what the main page area looked like before cleaning up

This image is of the mess I have to clean up after a fresh factory reset. I have removed every single thing from the (2) main page area. Before moving on the the apps drawer.







This is what I see now from the main screen area there is no longer a second screen. I may add one later though after cleaning up the phone.

"Plus in this image you can see the little gear icon next to the time on the left side of the screen where the notifications are is located." That gear icon says "finish setup" which is a notification once you pull down the notifications area an there is no way to get rid of it unless you "Finish the setup" which is the same thing I have already done. By use "skip" when I first restarted the phone after the factory rest."

So what I did to get rid of the annoying gear icon was to drop down the notifications and do the "Finish Setup" it was pretty quick to as least now the gear icon is gone. 






Below is the current apps drawer after the reset
Now in the list of apps to the left you will see:
Assistant, Calculator, Calendar, Call Guardian
Camera, Candy Crush Saga, Cash App, Chrome
Clock, Contacts, Dominoes, Drive, Facebook, Files
GamesHub, Gmail, Google, Google DUO, Google One, Google Pay, Google Play Movies & TV,  Maps, Messages, News, Pandora, Phone, Photos
Pinterest, Play Store, Podcasts, Royal Match, Settings, Smart Manager, Spades, The Weather Channel, Toon Blast, US Cellular, Word Trip, Word Universe, Wordscapes, Yazy, YouTube, YT Music


How I cleaned up the above image area was like this:
I went into the "Setting" area and then I noticed (2) Annoying things (1) Add another email account tab with a (X) button I clicked it to remove it from the "Settings" area. (2) I also seen a "Set up a payment card" also having a (X) I removed both tabs. 

 Now onto Apps: Apps info, Permission manager, Default apps
Recently opened apps, View all 51 APPS

I clicked on "View all 51 APPS"

App info:
Android Auto - Disabled since it could not be removed
Call Guardian - Disabled since it could not be removed
Candy Crush Saga - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 173 MB
Cash  App - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 119 MB
Dominoes - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 143 MB
Facebook - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 270 KB
GamesHub - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 16.44 MB
Google One - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 15.87 MB
Google Pay - Disabled since it could not be removed
Google Podcasts - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 6.82 MB
Google TV - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 41.27 MB
News - Disabled since it could not be removed
Pandora - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 171 MB
Royal Match - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 280 MB
Spades - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 166 MB
The Weather Channel - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 128 MB
Toon Blast - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 285 MB
Word Trip - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 202 MB
Word Universe - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 183 MB
Wordscapes - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 210 MB
yazy  - Removed (Uninstalled) Storage & Cache 148 MB
youTube - Disabled since it could not be removed
YouTube Music - Disabled since it could not be removed

This is how the cleaned up app drawer looks

Now the app drawer is cleaned up but I still need to scroll down a little bit to see the last of the apps which are. "Play Store, Settings, Smart Manager, US Cellular." 

Plus I also don't like the "RECENT APP" sections. so I will be removing it by doing the steps below:
(1) Go to main screen
(2) Hold main screen for a second or two "Options are: Wallpaper, Themes, Widgets, Home Settings"
(3) Select "Home Settings" and then look for "Recent App Slider" and slide it off.
Now it no longer shows up on app drawer. 






There was a new second annoying notification that just would not go away. So I opened the notification and it shows "Select your new apps" and then there are (7) already checked for me. There are (12) apps in total on this list some of the names are blocked because the names are to long. 
What I did was clicked off the (7) and then clicked "Skip". And now the notification is gone. and I also don't have to be forced to use apps I don't use. 

So now all that is on the phone is basically "Google Stuff" and  few accessories that might come in handy like "calculator, Calendar, Pinterest and such.

Now back to settings:
Settings area:
Search settings with search icon
Vibrate only with drop down - I clicked the drop down and now I have Vibrate only For calls & notifications - Turn on sound - I now click on "Turn on sound" and now I am at: "Sound & vibration

Now while in the "sound & vibration area I see 
Volume: Call Volume slider - I turn it all the way down
Volume: Ring Volume slider - I turn it all the way down
Volume: Notification Volume - Is grayed out 
Volume: Media Volume is currently at about 75%
Volume: Alarm volume is a little over the Media volume so its over 75% 

Silent mode is ""On"

RINGTONE & VIBRTION 
Phone Ringtone & vibrate  - TCLgo "I plan to change this later
Notification ringtone - Glow
Alarm ringtone - Starlight
Do Not Disturb preferences - Off
More Sound Settings 

I opened "More Sound Setting" 
Dial pad tones - On
Screen locking sounds - On
Touch sounds - On
Vibrate on touch - On

I turned off all (4) options listed above.

I then went back after turning the (4) options off. And now I'm back to the previous page. 
since returning to the previous page I turned the slider for "Silent mode" - "Off" and then the "Notification volume" turned on so now I can adjust the volume of the "Notifications".

Since my phone is not setup to receive phone calls of text messages from other phones I don't need to worry about the "Ring Volume" so I turned it all the way down and then I also turned down the "Notification Volume" I will adjust the notification volume once I download my new apps and setup my notification ringtones.

So now there will be no vibrating while tinkering with the phone or any annoying ringtones coming up while I'm working on the phone.

Now on the main setting screen is:
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth - Off
SIM Cards & mobile network - Everything is "OFF"

Connected devices moves to new area 
VPN - "No VPNs added" - "USB - faded" - "Printing - Default Print Service "On", Chromebook - "Your phone is not connected to a Chromebook"
Nearby Share - "Use Nearby Share" - "Off"

I turned off the "Printing", I also kept off the "Nearby Share".

Settings main screen area - Home screen & lock screen

Accessing - Home Screen & Lock Screen Area
(1) Wallpapers Choose wallpaper from "Photos" - "Wallpapers" I selected "Wallpapers" for now
Wallpapers has "My Photos", "Recently Used" or (12) Images to select as wallpaper I selected the 12th wallpaper. And now I see "Allow Launcher to access photos and media on your device? I selected "Allow". Now I see "Swipe up or down to replace built-in wallpapers. I swiped up and now I have: Set Home screen - Touch to preview on lock screen. I also see "Scroll, Set both, Done." I made sure "Scroll" was left off and then I selected "Done".

Next onto "Themes" still while in the home Screen & Lock Screen Area. I decided not to use "Theme".

"Home Settings" Home screen style - Home and drawer screen - Selected and then decide on "Home and drawer screen" which is the current setting

There is also a second option for having all apps on the main screen. I prefer having the drawer. So I left it alone.

Back to the "Home Settings"
Fill empty cells - Automatically fill empty cells when apps are moved - "On"
Google Feed - "Off" - I plan to turn back on once I tinker in "Google"
Recent App - "Off"
App icon badges - "On" - "Show With Numbers"
Add icon to Home screen - "Off"
Home app - "Launcher"

Notifications on lock screen - "Don't show any notification"
Function shortcuts - "Off"
Lock screen message - None

Now back to "Settings"
On to "Display" 

Display:
Adaptive brightness - Turned off
Dark mode - Turned on - No timer set
Sleep - Never
Font - Default
Auto - rotate screen - On

Status bar go to a new area - 
Show network speed - "Off", Battery percentage - Next to battery icon - Notification icons folder - "On"

Next is LED indicator

Events: "Off"
Charging: "Off"
Low battery: "Off"

Screen saver opens in new area: Current screen saver - "Colors"
When to start - "Never"

Now I see "Sound & vibration" under "Display".

I already took care of the "Sound & vibration" when I took care of the "Vibration" selection from the top of "Settings" when I first got into the "Settings" area.

So now onto "Notifications".

Notifications:
App icon badges - "On"
On the lock screen - "Don't show any notifications"
Lock screen quick settings - "Off"
Notifications icons folder - "On"
Less disturbing mode - Currently off I turned it "On"

Manage app notifications - opens in new area
Notifications: I turned some off and some on

"On"
Assistant
Chrome
Calendar
Camera
Drive
Files by Google
Google Play Store
Gmail
Photos
Pinterest

"Off" 
Calculator
Contacts
Google
Maps
Messages
US Cellular

Now back to the "Notifications" 

Notification History I turned this setting "On"

Now back to "Settings" 

Now to "Button & gestures" 
System navigation - Buttons, Gesture navigation "Back from side" I prefer "Buttons" 
Button layout - "Move the icon to your favorite position first option "Back, Home, Show all currently open apps", Second option "Show all currently open apps, Home, Back." I left the option on the first select.

Now there are "Gestures" "Flip to mute" all are "On"
Next on to "Split-screen gesture currently "On"

Next "power Key" 
Quick launch camera - "On" I turned it "Off"
Power button ends calls currently "Off" 
Power key menu - opens in new area
Device controls - "On" - Turned "Off"
Lock screen - Grayed out

Back to main "Settings" area
Now on to "Smart Manager" 

Smart Manager (100%)
I left all setting alone in "Smart Manager"

"Digital Wellbeing and parental controls" are both left blank or turned off.

Back to "Settings" 

"Security & biometrics"
Google Play Protect - Apps scanned at 12:47 PM
Security update: February 1, 2023
Find my device "On"
Google Play system update: November 1, 2021 "Restart to update" - "Restarting Now" update is March 1, 2023 

Screen lock - None
Face Unlock - "Off"
Smart Lock - Grayed Out

Others: Device admin apps - opens in other area "Find My Device - Off"
Others: Encryption & credentials - "Encrypted" - "All other stuff in this area left alone"
Others: Trust agents: "Grayed Out"
Screen Pinning - "Off"

Back to main "Settings" area
Location: "USE LOCATION" 
App level permissions - 2 of 11 apps have access to location
Wi-Fi an Bluetooth scanning - "On"
Earthquake alerts - "On"
Emergency Location Services - "On"
Google Location Accuracy - "On"
Google Location History - "On"
Google Location Sharing - "Off"

Back to "Settings"
Now to "Privacy" 
Privacy: Permission Manager - "All left alone"
Privacy: Make passwords visible - "On"
Privacy: On the lock screen - Don't show any notifications
Privacy: Autofill service from Google - "Autofill with Google" - I will update my "Google Info after tinkering with the phone"
Privacy: Activity Controls - "Choose the activities and info you allow Google to save"
Privacy: Ads - "advertising ID and personalization" 
Privacy: Usage & diagnostics - "Share data to help improve Android" - "On"

All the stuff that requires Google to be completed I will complete once done with phone.

Now back to "Settings" and on to "Google" from under "Users & accounts" 

"Google" 
COVID-19 support - "Off"
Setting for "Google apps" 
Connected apps - "Google Contacts sync", "Google Fit", "Google Play Instant", "Google Wallet", Search, Assistant & Voice"

I don't know much about the Google apps so I will look into each of them once done with the phone.

So I will leave "Google" alone for now and move on to "Accessibility".

Accessibility: Accessibility Menu - "Off"
Accessibility: Select to Speak - Shortcut - "Off"
Accessibility: Switch Access - "Off"
Accessibility: TalkBack - "Off"

GOOGLE ASSISTIANCE BUTTON CONTROLS 
Start Google Assistant - Press Google Assistance button to quickly start Google Assistance "On"
Press and hold Google Assistance button to talk to Google Assistance directly "On"

SCREEN READERS - Text-to-speech settings - Left alone for now

DISPLAY
Dark mode "On"
Magnification "Off"
Color correction "Off"
Color inversion "Off"
Large mouse pointer "Off"
Remove animation "Off"

INTERACTION CONTROLS
Click after pointer stops moving "Off"
Power button ends calls "Off"
Auto-rotate screen "On"
Touch & hold delay "Short"
Time to take action (Accessibility timeout) Default
Vibration & haptic strength - Ring Off, notification on, touch off

AUDIO & ON-SCREEN TEXT
Mute all sounds "Off"
Mono audio - Combine channels when playing audio "Off"
Audio balance Left/Right slider is centered
Captions is "Off"

EXPERIMENTAL
High contrast text "Off"
Open "Advanced" 
Allow from lock screen "Off"
Pocket Mode "On" 

Back to "Settings" and to "System" 

About Phone "TCL 5102L" 
Model "5102L"
CPU "MT6762"
RAM 3.0 GB
Battery capacity 3000 mAh
Storage 32 GB
Camera Front 5 MP back 8 MP
Resolution 720 X 1440
Android Version 11

System Update - TCLUI No update available - FQ6J 
Update APPS - All apps are up to date

Languages & input - Gboard opens in other area

Languages & input: Language "English (United States)"

Languages & input: KEYBOARD & INPUTS  
Virtual Keyboard: Gboard and Google voice typing
Secure Input - "Off"
Physical input - Not Connected

INPUT ASSISTANCE 

Spell checker Gboard spell checker
Autofill service
Personal dictionary "Nothing added yet"
Pointer speed "50%"
Text-to-speech settings "left alone"

Date & time "Left Alone"

Now that is is for the Settings" area as a whole.

Now for the last thing to edit. 

Notification drop down button area.

To do this I only need to pull down the notifications area and swipe to the left to move to the other half of the buttons and then click the (+) button. To edit the button layout and buttons that show up on the notifications drop down.

Once in the edit area I will select what to get rid of.

Cellular Data - Removed
Screen Recorder - Removed 
Hotspot - Removed
Dark mode - Removed
Data saver - Removed
Do not disturb - Removed
Screenshot - Removed
Sound - Removed
Nearby Share - Removed 

I added only 1 "Storage" 

So now I only have a few buttons on the notifications area:
Wi-Fi, Flashlight, Bluetooth, Auto-rotate, Airplane Mode, Location, Battery saver, Storage, screen brightness. Now I also have "History" and "Clear All". 

So now the phone is cleaned up and settings have been changed ass well as the notification area has been fixed up as well. 



All done with this now to download apps and set up apps.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I added more details to my TV Shows List

First, a few more details I have started with just 2 folders on my 1TB External Hard Drive just "TV Shows" and "Movies". I had (47) folders in the TV Shows folder all named after the TV Shows. Now I have created two more main folders inside the "TV Shows" folder called "Airing" and "Ended". So now when I open the hard drive I see (2) folders "Movies" and "TV Shows". When I open "TV Shows" I have (2) folders "Airing" and "Ended". Here is what it looks like before the added information update: 1883 (2022) Blood Ties (2007) Carnival Row (2019) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina (2018) Dexter (2006) Eureka (2006) Forever (2014) From (2022) The above list is just a few of the TV Shows before I added more information. Now I am adding more information to all the TV Shows today and so far this is how things look: 1883 (2022) (Currently - Done) (Se#1 - Ep#10) (Done) Blood Ties (2007) (Currently - Do

How I Organized My TV Shows List Copied From My Hard Drive With Copy Path

First of all a little bit of detail about the hard drive and what is on it. First of all the hard drive is a 1TB External Hard Drive it is a Toshiba I have had it for over a year maybe closer to 2 years. I have 2 folders on the hard drive currently folders are titled "TV Shows and Movies".                   When it comes to TV Shows I currently have (47). Each folder is organized by folder name and each folder is titled based on the TV Show series name and year released. And each folder is organized by name but not by year. Each folder is titled like this example "Motherland - Fort Salem (2020)". This is one folder and once this folder is opened I have "Season 1, Season 2, Season 3".             I use 2 free programs to help me rename and organize all my TV Show episode files. Below I will get into more detail on how I create my lists.             (1) I have opened my "File Explorer" (2) I select "View" and then "Item check boxes&